Loading the content... Loading depends on your connection speed!

Purses for Preeclampsia: A Sale to Benefit the Preeclampsia Foundation

Two years ago I offered my “imperfect” handbags for $50 each with the promise that every penny of that $50 would be donated to Doctors Without Borders for Haiti earthquake relief. The response was overwhelming. You stepped up and $15,150 was raised. It was an incredible day. Let’s do it again! Wednesday, July 18th all “imperfect” handbags will be available for $50 each. One hundred percent of the sale price of each bag will be donated to the Preeclampsia Foundation. THE DETAILS Why was the Preeclampsia Foundation chosen to receive the money? Last year I lost my nephew, Cooper, to preeclampsia. This fundraiser is being held in his honor. On Thanksgiving day in 2010 my sister and her husband announced she was pregnant with their first baby. You know her; she’s that cute blonde that does all the modeling for me. You know her husband too, Tyler, the Marine who knit Elizabeth, his girlfriend at the time, a bikini while stationed in Kuwait. At 23-weeks pregnant Elizabeth became very swollen. It was too early in her pregnancy to be swelling as she was. She didn’t feel well. Something was off. We took her blood pressure at home. The next day at her doctor’s appointment they alerted the doctor that her blood pressure was high. They checked it and her urine; 159/111 and protein in her urine. After being immediately rushed to the hospital her blood pressure had gone up to 170/110. Elizabeth had severe preeclampsia. Preeclampsia is a disorder that only occurs during pregnancy, characterized by high blood pressure and protein in the urine. Globally, preeclampsia and other hypertensive disorders of pregnancy are the leading cause of maternal and infant illness and death. There is no known prevention or cure, except for delivery of the baby. In denial at the time, I don’t think I could process how at risk my sister’s life was. At any moment she could have a seizure and go into a coma or die. Their baby, Cooper, had less than an 11% chance of surviving. They induced labor to stop the preeclampsia. When the nurse placed Cooper on Elizabeth’s chest the cry in the room did not come from Cooper, but was instead a mother’s wail at the loss of her child. The family held little Cooper, 11 oz and 11 inches long, kissed his nose that resembled his father’s and captured him in our memories. It is in memory of Cooper that I am doing this fundraiser to raise both money for the Preeclampsia Foundation and awareness of this horrific disease. To read more about Elizabeth’s experience, please read her blog post on the Preeclampsia Foundation’s blog. Read more about preeclampisa. How does the sale work? The sale will start Wednesday, July 18th at 8am PST. Every hour, on the hour, a new color of bag will be made available. Each color will only be available during the selected hour. What do you mean by “imperfect”? The “imperfect” bags don’t meet our quality standards. Some have scratches on the fabric, broken zippers, missing removable pouches or upside-down labels. Majority of the “imperfect” bags have very minor problems. All bags are functional. We wouldn’t sell something with a missing handle or hole in the bottom. In most cases, you won’t be able to find the imperfection. When we sold our “imperfect” bags in 2010 the most common comment from customers was that they could not find the imperfection. Due to the expected high volume of sales, I will not be able to personally identify what is imperfect about each bag. What is your return policy for these bags? All sales are final. Our warranty policy does not apply to these bags. The inside of each bag will be stamped with “final sale” in a hidden location. How is shipping handled? We will only be accepting orders with USA delivery addresses. As this is a fundraiser, we must reduce costs as much as possible. Therefore we will not be able to ship internationally due to the extra labor necessary to process international orders. Additionally, we will not be able to combine shipping for orders of multiple bags. Orders will be shipped UPS Ground. The cost of shipping will not be donated to the Preeclampsia Foundation, but to cover the cost of shipping your bag to you. Do I have to pay tax? California residents will be charged sales tax. What bags will be available? We’ll be selling discontinued styles/colors as well as current styles. Click here for a list. Can I place my order by phone? No, orders can only be made online. I don’t need a bag but would like to make a donation. How do I do that? Thank you. Please make a donation directly to the Preeclampsia Foundation. And even if you can’t make a donation but would still like to help, remember to share this event with your friends. RSVP to our Facebook event. Pin this post. Tweet. Blog. We need everyone’s help! Here’s some more ideas. Thanks again!

Receive our free patterns, tips, trends and articles in your inbox every week!
Plus, get notified about new products and access to exclusive sales.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

16 Responses to Purses for Preeclampsia: A Sale to Benefit the Preeclampsia Foundation

1. Judith /

July 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I notice you are not able to ship internationally. I am in the UK but my mother lives in California. Would you be able to accept payment from the UK (through paypal) but ship to my mother.

2. Jordana Paige /

July 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Yes, absolutely. It’s only the shipping address that needs to be US.

3. Katie Lynn /

July 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm

What a wonderful charitable foundation to give to! My aunt had her daughter at 25 weeks. She was 1 lb 2 oz. Thankfully she survived (though spent 3 months in NICU and went home on oxygen), and has had few problems due to her early birth. My aunt, however, still suffers from high blood pressure and is no longer able to have children. It’s a surprisingly common disease that few people seem to know much about until it touches their lives. Thanks for bringing it to light, and thanks for offering your bags up for charity.

4. Katherine /

July 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm

It is lovely that you are doing this fundraiser for a cause that is close to my own heart. The same thing happened to me when I was 31 weeks pregnant; my little boy was stillborn due to rapid onset severe preeclampsia, in July 2010. I had been feeling a bit “off”, had swollen ankles and I had noticed that my baby had stopped moving about a little bit, but being my first pregnancy, I didn’t think anything of it. I had heard of preeclampsia, but expected headaches and flashing lights in my vision, neither of which I had. Like your sister, I waited for my doctor’s appointment and it was picked up then. I was told to rush to hospital, but unfortunately my little boy didn’t survive the 20 min drive. He was 2lb10oz when he was born, and was just perfect.
    There are still no tests that can be done to pinpoint who is likely to develop this condition, and the only drug that is currently recommended to those who have had preeclampsia in a previous pregnancy is low dose aspirin (it is still being decided whether it is beneficial or not). This is what I was prescribed in my second pregnancy – my second son was born last October and is now a bouncing happy 8 month old. The pregnancy was no walk in the park – although I didn’t develop preeclampsia again, I was counting every little movement and noting every little symptom. My son was induced 12 days early as he was found to have slowed in his growth, but was born a healthy 5lb9oz.
    I hope my story helps your sister, or anyone else who has suffered a loss due to this condition.

5. Laura /

July 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. I lost my son last year at 22 weeks due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP, and the preeclampsia foundation’s website and forum helped me immensely, knowing that there was nothing I could have done and that I wasn’t alone in going through this terrible condition. Thank you for supporting such a great cause.

6. Su1282 /

July 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Thank you for bringing this organization to our attention. My husband was born to a mother in full blown eclampsia. She’d had a terrible headache for days but didn’t want to appear a complainer to her mother-in-law so said nothing. Once she started having seizures, she just couldn’t hide it anymore. My husband weighed about 4 lbs at birth. He wasn’t a healthy kid. And he’s a great dad and husband now, and his mom will arrive tomorrow for a long term visit. There are some happy endings; hoping for more thru this foundation’s work!

7. Lynn /

July 10, 2012 at 11:58 am

i too suffered with preeclampsia, but i was blessed with a healthy baby girl at 38 weeks. it was such a scary time for me & my family. what a wonderful organization. thank you for offering up your items to benefit them.

8. Kathleen /

July 10, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I am so sorry about your family’s loss. I had pre-eclampsia. I was blessed with two healthy kids. Boy 12 and girl 10. When I reported feeling off in my second pregnancy, I was told that pre-eclampsia has no symptoms. I hope that doctors recognize that we do feel odd. I knew what I had the second time around. I had been on bed rest for two month with my son. My daughter was delivered at 35 weeks the day I had that funny feeling!

9. Pingback: Learn more about preeclampsia and spread awareness about it | Jordana Paige Blog

10. Jennie Kaderabek /

July 14, 2012 at 5:00 pm

What a great way to raise money for a fabulous foundation. I was pre-eclamptic with my first, only, and last pregnancy. Fortunately, my blood pressure was managed after 32 weeks gestation with medication and I delivered at a day short of 35 weeks. After a 15 day feed and grow NICU stay, we took our twins, Chloe & Connor, home. I remained at risk for seizures post c-section and did not see my twins for 27 hours after delivery, except for a quick peek before they headed off to the NICU. I stayed on blood pressure medication for four months, as the pre-eclampsia can remain post-partum. I had no idea! I needed to stay on the medication until I stopped pumping breast milk, so suspect hormones from lactating had something to do with it. Anyway, thank you for raising awareness to an often misunderstood pregnancy related complication.

11. Pingback: A Mother's Experience with Preeclampsia | Jordana Paige Blog

12. AudreyGS /

July 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Jordana, I met Elizabeth in Paso Robles last summer, and she shared Conner’s story with me. I got a bit luckier; my daughter Rebecca turned 17 this week. Two days later, she celebrated the anniversary of a life-threatening condition and drastic emergency surgery to save her life. I went on to develop HELLP quite severely, and to this day my kidneys just aren’t what they used to be. I will be refreshing my browser often tomorrow in search of the right purse and in hopes of not being beaten out for it! Tell your sister I remember her and her story well, and thank you for doing this.

13. Sharon Hunt /

July 19, 2012 at 7:00 am

I was locked out all day yesterday using this same link as I used today….there unable to order bag….to say I’m bumbed is an understatment……Thank you Sharon

14. Pingback: Purses For Preeclampsia to Honor CLB and Benefit the Preeclampsia Foundation « The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia Blog

15. perfumy sklep /

January 28, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

16. harriet /

December 11, 2013 at 11:43 am

Thank you for talking about pre eclamsia i can truly say that i can relate to all these stories.I lost my daughter on 5 October 2013.she was born on the 3rd of October and was declared dead when she was born but after an hour she just started breathing on her own but after a few days she had a total organ failure i was taken up in high care icu…… I wish that i could do something to make uneducated and young pregnant woman in our local townships aware of pre eclamsia in remembrance of my daughter Nicole Mia white