Loading the content... Loading depends on your connection speed!

How to Choose and Pack Yarn Projects for Airplane Travel

7 Responses to How to Choose and Pack Yarn Projects for Airplane Travel

1. Elizabeth Ham / Reply

August 20, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Another alternative to scissors is dental floss. You can use the floss cutter instead of scissors.

2. Sam GIll / Reply

August 20, 2013 at 11:29 am

Keep in mind rules change between domestic (USA) and International. I’ve talked to knitters that could leave the country with their work in their bags, but the international equivalent to our TSA didn’t allow the needles through their security checkpoint. So, if traveling internationally, please be sure to check that countries policy!

Here in the States, I’ve have no problem getting my work on the plane … just lots of questions, stares and double takes that a man has knitting needles in his backpack …

3. Karen / Reply

August 20, 2013 at 6:39 am

This can apply to jury duty as well. I got a thorough checking at the courthouse when I was called up. I got in but he wanted to see all my hooks, now I only bring the tools I need not just the whole bag. I bring a personal copy of the pattern, this way I don’t lose the original and I can mark it up if I have to.

4. Kathy / Reply

December 28, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I usually only travel with one-skein patterns so I don’t have a lot of different yarns to juggle for the project. If it’s a long flight or has long layovers, I will normally carry a second skein so I can start a new project- sometimes I’ll just put it in my checked bag so I have something to do on the return trip. I normally carry any buttons and tags to do the finish details for the project.

5. Marie/Underground Crafter / Reply

August 11, 2012 at 9:55 am

Great tips!

6. Katie / Reply

August 9, 2012 at 11:44 am

One addition…don’t forget the PATTERN for the project in that smaller bag! Since this just happened to me last week. Fortunately it was a short chart that I could sketch out on a blank piece of paper.

• Rebecca / Reply

August 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Nice reminder Katie. Glad you could figure it out. I would be SO sad if I left the pattern at home! All that yarn and what to do??