Loading the content... Loading depends on your connection speed!

Knitting Deadlines: An Oxymoron

7 Responses to Knitting Deadlines: An Oxymoron

1. Tracy / Reply

March 19, 2013 at 6:12 am

Re: laddering on dpns… I do three things:
    1. I make sure the needle I’m moving to is over the needle I’ve just come from
    2. I use 4 needles to make a square out of my knitting (instead of 3 in a triangle) which minimizes the distance the yarn has to travel to the next needle
    3. I move 1 stitch per needle every time I switch. Meaning I knit all the stitches on needle 1 and then the 1st stitch on needle 2 onto one needle. Then all the remaining stitches on needle 2 and the 1st stitch on needle 3, etc. etc.

Now, 2 & 3 are difficult (and possibly impossible) with socks that have a pattern that specifies how many stitches should be on each needle (ie. 20 on #1, 28 on #2, 20 on #3) but try it out the next time you’re working a stockinette sleeve or a super plain sock pattern.

2. Liz / Reply

February 28, 2013 at 3:31 pm

The sweater looks terrific! Great job!

As for the laddering, I had this problem too when I first started working on dpns. Cat Bordhi recommends NOT pulling hard on the first stitch on the dpns. She says to work the first stitch, then on the second stitch, tug to snug up the fit between the other 2 stitches. She recommends tugging instead of pulling hard, because (if you can believe it) pulling hard actually CAUSES laddering. Oddly enough, if you don’t fret about laddering, it usually doesn’t happen. IF you just knit/purl the way you do on other needles, you won’t have an issue. This has worked well for me. I hope it helps you! :)

3. Pingback: What websites, blogs and articles help you stay positive? | Sunny Sanguinity

4. Rebecca / Reply

February 20, 2013 at 11:55 am

Thanks ladies for all the kind compliments and comments!! I’m super proud of my sweater :)

I think I might start with Katie Lynn’s suggestion of turning the sock inside out and purling…then maybe try Beth’s idea of moving the stitches around. I will keep you posted on the progress!

5. Tina / Reply

February 20, 2013 at 10:47 am

Your sweater looks fantastic! I have yet to knit my first sweater or my first pair of socks since i just started knitting hats and mittens. I do believe that very soon though I will tackle both of the others on my bucket list. Congrats!

6. Beth / Reply

February 20, 2013 at 9:35 am

Congratulations, your sweater is great. I still haven’t tackled a full-on sweater, I have done shells and that’s it. I hope to try a top down raglan very soon. As for your socks, the yarn color is gorgeous! I make lots of socks, you get instant gratification from them. I usually will put a marker and move my stitches around from needle to needle so I am not knitting in the same problem ladder place all the time, does that make sense? It usually works for me.

7. Katie Lynn / Reply

February 20, 2013 at 9:22 am

The laddering is probably a product of having a purl be the first st on the needle. I always try to make sure that a knit is the first st, so the yarn is coming from the inside and will be tighter (though looking at the pattern that isn’t an option for you). You can always try turning the sock inside-out and purling the p rows that way (you will be able to pull the yarn tighter that way and it should decrease the laddering). Another common mistake is to bring the yarn to the front of the work between the needles, effectively causing a yarn over, which of course would lead to a ladder when you slip it off your needle. If none of these fix it, perhaps knitting on 2 circs would help you? You can pull the yarn tighter on the cord than you can on a dpn, which would also decrease the likelihood of laddering.