Loading the content... Loading depends on your connection speed!

A frog goes “Rip It”

7 Responses to A frog goes “Rip It”

1. Rebecca A. Watson / Reply

April 30, 2014 at 5:29 am

Hey Pam! I just wound it back up by hand, but if you have a lot maybe use a ball winder or enlist some help from friends/family!

2. Pam / Reply

April 25, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I am new to your blog and am reading this article on frogging. Do you have any tips on how to put the yarn back into a ball?

3. Nena / Reply

May 21, 2013 at 11:54 am

I have frogged items in the past but not for many years now. But now I am going to Frogg at least five projects two not quite finished, one finished but never blocked and two finished blocked and worn at least twice. All of these sweaters.
    You see I love to knit, hate to frogg, but will when necessary. I made these items last winter and the one before that but I was wearing a size 2x or 3X at the time. I have since lost 97 pounds and wear size 2 petite. I can almost make two items out of each one I Frogg! And these are made from expense yarn.
    I hope to have fun the second time around.

4. Rebecca / Reply

May 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Kathy Lynn, Thanks so much for the tip about steaming my yarn! I will definitely have to do that before I try knitting something else. I like the idea of using my iron.

Kathleen, Ah the gift that you already promised. That’s too bad you hate working on it. I think you have the right idea about alternating projects. Find the joy in something!

CJ, Thanks for sharing your story. It’s such a heart breaking thing for many people but it seems like the ones who do it are happier that they did.

5. CJ / Reply

May 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I’ve frogged a few projects, but the most memorable/worst for me was 2 years ago.
    I knit a tank in this beautiful variegated yarn. It was such an enjoyable knit and the yarn was so soft and easy to work with.
    And then I finished the tank, and I hated it. It just didn’t work no matter what I did.
    I put it away in the closet for a few weeks, then one day was hit with “I have to do something with that yarn!” – so I frogged it all. It was liberating, knowing that I would still be able to use this beautiful yarn on something I really will want!

6. Kathleen Bruner / Reply

May 14, 2013 at 11:44 am

No, I’ve never frogged a project to quit and make something else, but I can totally understand how liberating that must be. I relate to your comment about books as I just finished one that I wasn’t really enjoying and was so glad when it was finished so I could start on my husband’s new book that needed editorial reading. However, if I could, I would frog one of the things I’m working on now. If I hadn’t promised it to my husband I would totally give up on it. But not to make something with the same fiber as I don’t plan to EVER make anything with size 10 crochet thread again! The thread & steel hook are just TOO small to be enjoyable. Thank goodness that I have 2 yarn projects going that I can alternate with or it would be making me hateful! :)

7. Katie Lynn / Reply

May 14, 2013 at 8:05 am

I rip things all the time. In my opinion, I’d rather use that yarn (which was by no means inexpensive) on an item that I love everything about. I recently ripped an entire finished sweater that was made in fingering weight yarn just because I wasn’t happy with everything about it. That yarn is now in queue as another sweater, that will fit my taste more.

It doesn’t look like you steamed your yarn? I highly recommend that as the kinks from being ripped can mess up the tension in your next project. I rip directly onto my swift, tie a few pieces of string around it and steam it to work those out. I either use the steam setting on my iron or put it in a pot in the steamer basket (you need to watch it closely!). Or if I have lots of time I just give it a soak to relax it.