Loading the content... Loading depends on your connection speed!

Tutorial: Diaper Changing Pad Clutch

Please note: The following pattern is for personal use only. Commercial use, reproduction, distribution and publication is prohibited. Items made from this pattern cannot be sold.

Nearing her due date, my sister wrote me this email (seriously, no editing here):

I am looking for a cute diaper clutch that holds a couple diapers, wipes and has a changing pad in it. Etsy has so many cute ones. Will you help me pick one out? I am going to use my JP Cezanne as my diaper bag. It will work perfectly. I looked more at the diaper bags today and they are either way too big, too expensive or just ugly. I don’t understand why they think moms want ugly bags or want to have kid fabric for their bag. Cezanne should work. I know the pockets aren’t all the same size for stuff as a diaper bag but I can make it work. Sure is cuter! Now I am working on organizing it.

My response was, “I’ll just make you one.” So off to the fabric store I went. Below are the instructions for what I came up with. I sized it to fit in Cezanne.

Diaper Changing Pad Tutorial

Finished Size:
Open: 13.5 x 30 inches (pad 24″, pocket 6″)
Folded: 13.5 x 6.5 inches

Materials:
Outside fabric and pocket lining: 1/2 yd. BPA Free Vinyl Coated Laminated Cotton Fabric
Inside fabric: 1/2 yd. Printed PUL Knit Laminated Fabric (it’s what’s used for making cloth diapers)
1/2 yd. Cotton batting
Elastic: 4 inches of 1/4″ elastic
One 1-inch button

Diaper Changing Pad Tutorial

Comments & Tips:

• This was my first time working with laminated cotton and it is a bit tricky. Just be patient with it. I don’t recommend working with it if this is your first sewing project. I chose it because I wanted a fabric that is easy to wipe clean. This could also be made with cotton fabric and be a lot easier to sew. Plus, then you could throw it in the wash. I was told at the fabric store the laminated cotton is machine washable. I haven’t personally tried it.

• Keep your pins within the seam allowance. They leave holes.

• I used a universal needle on my machine. It broke once when I was top-stitching through several layers.

• To iron out the creases of the laminated cotton, I placed it laminated side down. Then I placed a doubled cotton cloth on top, sprayed it with water and ironed it on the cotton setting.

• I used a slightly longer stitch length than normal. I was told to use a long stitch at the fabric store, but I didn’t find this was necessary. The longer stitch looked sloppy to me.

• There’s no pressing your seams. This is frustrating, but you’ll get through it.

Instructions
All seams are .5″ unless otherwise noted.

Cut the following pieces:
Outside fabric: 14.5 x 37 inches
Inside fabric: 14.5 x 25
Pocket lining: 14.5 x 13
Batting: 14.5 x 24.5 inches

Inside and Pocket Lining:
Fold one edge of the 14.5″ side of the pocket lining down .5″, wrong sides together. Top stitch (I figured this out later so it’s not shown in the pictures). Sew the opposite edge of the pocket lining to the inside fabric, right sides together. Fold the pocket lining in half, right sides together. The pocket should now be 6″ deep. Sew from top to bottom of pocket.

Diaper Changing Pad Tutorial

Outside:
Fold one edge of the 14.5″ side of the outside fabric down .5″, wrong sides together. Top stitch. Fold this end up 6″, right sides together. Sew from top to bottom of pocket. Mark center of 14.5″ edge, opposite of pocket. Fold elastic in half and pin at marking so raw edges match with raw edges of fabric.

Diaper Changing Pad Tutorial

Assemble:
Place inside and outside pieces right sides together (pockets are at bottom). Place batting on top, lining it up with the top of the pad. The batting should end where the pockets start. Beginning at the top left side of the pocket, sew along the left edge of pad, across top of pad, down the right edge, ending at the top right side of the pocket. The outside pocket and pocket lining should not be sewn to each other.

Diaper Changing Pad Tutorial

Turn pad right side out. The pocket lining will remain with wrong sides showing. Place pocket lining inside of pocket.

Diaper Changing Pad Tutorial

Top stitch top of pocket and pocket lining together. Top stitch along left, top and right edges of the pad, not the pockets. I stitches 1/4″ from the edge. This was the most difficult part for me. Take it slow. If you’re having problems, try 3/8″.

Diaper Changing Pad Tutorial

Beginning at pocket, fold up pad. Sew on button.

Tutorial: Diaper Changing Pad Clutch | Jordana Paige Blog

Tutorial: Diaper Changing Pad Clutch | Jordana Paige Blog

Tutorial: Diaper Changing Pad Clutch

Receive our free patterns, tips, trends and articles in your inbox every week!
Plus, get notified about new products and access to exclusive sales.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

22 Responses to Tutorial: Diaper Changing Pad Clutch

1. GynnaB /

April 16, 2013 at 11:30 am

Ok, the diaper clutch is very cool… the baby now… simply adorable!!!! I might have to make up a few of these for gifts! Thanks for sharing both the clutch and cute baby pics!

2. goodwoolhunting /

April 17, 2013 at 9:28 am

LOVE IT!!!

3. Jennifer /

April 26, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Where can you buy this fabric? I found the laminated cotton but I can’t find the BPA Free Vinyl Coated Laminated Cotton Fabric. Thanks!

4. Jordana Paige /

April 28, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Jennifer, I bought it at http://www.hartsfabric.com

5. Sew Sew Funky /

April 28, 2013 at 7:48 pm

This is pure awesomeness!

6. Amy /

May 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm

This is so so cute – I’m almost done with my first for a friend. Great tutorial, thank you much!!

7. Buffy /

May 25, 2013 at 10:31 am

Just to let you know that I HAVE washed laminate cotton fabric…multiple times too (I made a backpack for my son with it). I’ve never put it in the dryer but it washes up beautifully.

Love the project, super adorbs! I’m with your sister on diaper bags…why must the gorgeous one be $200 but the cheap ones disgusting in fashion?

8. Angela /

June 13, 2013 at 7:19 am

I love this!!! Bought some laminated cotton by accident on the internet a while ago…when will I learn to read before I click?…now I have a good use for it! Thanks!…btw…I found the placement of the button to be awkward…kinda in the center of the baby’s back…so I used stick on velcro…works great!

9. Laura /

June 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Just did this project today. I live in a small town and could not find laminated material so I just ended up using flannel for both inside and out. I am a beginner sewer, but I think it turned out OK! Super in expensive and perfect for the diaper bag! I also did not use a bottom because orbit being where the baby’s back would be so I used Velcro as the closure.

10. trish /

June 26, 2013 at 6:10 am

I made a few of these this week. Thank you for the great tutorial. For the inner pul, the shiny side is the side you have baby lay on, right? I bought solid pul and am second guessing myself.

11. Jordana Paige /

June 27, 2013 at 11:21 am

Hi Trish,

I put the dull side out of the diaper fabric. After using the pad, I’ve learned that side doesn’t clean up as nicely. I think you definitely made the right call putting the shiny side out. I’m making another one this weekend and plan on putting shiny side out.

12. frances /

July 12, 2013 at 8:42 pm

This is so great! & the baby is so adorable! Thanks for the very cute clutch idea:)

13. christine ballard /

July 13, 2013 at 1:53 am

Doesn’t warm and natural have to be quilted?

14. Jason Villarreal /

October 15, 2013 at 11:06 am

Would you be willing to make one for my wife? We are first time parents and I think she would love this diaper changing pad clutch

15. Sadie /

January 27, 2014 at 9:57 am

Love the pattern! Just a thought- I bought the fabric for it the other day and didn’t realize until I unfolded it that the patterns I have are the right measurements for a horizontal changing pad rather than a vertical one (I got chevron and a little alien print where everything is lined up instead of placed at random like yours). Meaning I would have to cut it in half and sew one on top of the other to have the pattern look continuous going up and down. (Does that make sense?) If anyone else is getting a print that’s meant to be horizontal, it’d probably be wise to get a full yard so they have enough to work with length-wise.

Thanks for putting the tutorial together! It sure saves a lot of thinking on my part.:)

16. Cynthia Kaiser /

February 1, 2014 at 3:27 pm

This is so cute!!! But I dont see where you get the pattern. Can you help?! Due with our third in April!
    Thank you!

17. Jenn Murphy /

February 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Thank you for this! I just made my first one and it came together so easily and turned out beautiful! I wasn’t able to use the Vinyl fabric as my local fabric store does not carry it but I used flannel instead and it still is great!

18. DJ /

March 16, 2014 at 4:23 am

I want to make one with terry cloth for the inside fabric!

19. Brittany Edlund /

March 18, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I am having a hard time finding the PUL fabric, especially one that I like. Is it OK to use the laminated cotton for both sides? I am a beginner to sewing and this is new material to me.

Thanks! Love this idea, I am making it for my sister who is due with her first in July!

20. Jordana Paige /

March 18, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Definitely! You could even use regular cotton if you wanted.

21. Sarah /

March 25, 2014 at 4:06 am

Am nervously about to try this as a present for my imminent new niece or nephew. I have two different pul fabrics, a cute elephant print for the inside and a solid contrasting colour for the outside! However I’m an absolute beginner at this sewing business though so I may be some time.

22. Carolyn Meggitt /

April 9, 2014 at 11:02 am

I am going to try to upload the photo of my diaper pouch. Thanks so much for the tutorial!/Users/carolynmeggitt/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2014/04/09/20140409-185534/IMG_0417.JPG